What is GPS Heading / GNSS Heading?
In the context of GNSS and GPS, heading is the compass direction in which a device is travelling or should be travelling, measured in degrees from Magnetic North and/or True North. Today’s cutting-edge GNSS technology and products enable users to accurately determine where a particular object is pointing on the horizontal plane.
GPS heading and GNSS heading are calculated from reports of the last two positions at which the object was found; in other words, where the object was before, and where it is found at the present moment. For this reason, a GNSS compass will require that the object be moving in order to determine the heading. Most GNSS devices will update positioning data every one or two seconds, providing the user with the most accurate calculations possible.
When you are searching for a GNSS OEM board and/or compass, there a few things you should consider with respect to accurate GPS heading/GNSS heading calculations:
- Degree of Accuracy: Will 0.75° RMS (root of the mean squared) be sufficient enough or do you require 0.3° RMS, or even 0.17° RMS?
- Time Required for Heading Calculation: How quickly will you need to have your heading calculated? Some products will offer almost immediate heading calculations.
- Applications: The product and features you require will depend on the intended application.
- GNSS Outages: How vital is it for you to be able to calculate heading at any time, even during GNSS outages?
- Other calculations: OEM Boards and compasses that offer accurate heading calculations will likely offer heave, pitch, and roll output as well.
Common Applications for GPS Heading/GNSS Heading
- Marine Navigation
- Machine Guidance
- Satellite & communication antennas
- Drills & excavators
- And many more…
At TransiTiva, we are proud to offer the best technologies for various GNSS applications. We have several products that will provide accurate GPS heading/GNSS heading information. They include, but are not limited to:
- Hemisphere V102 Compact GPS Compass
- Hemisphere V102 GPS Compass
- Hemisphere V113 GPS/GLONASS Compass