Our customer from Alaska was looking for a solution to test its small airplane on-board navigation equipment without having to roll the aircraft outside its hanger to pick up a GPS satellite signal. GPS repeater operates by receiving GPS satellite signals with an antenna located outside the building and re-radiating the signals to the indoor area or covered space.
We recommended the following products:
GPSRKL1-P110/5-TF: GPS Source GPSRKL1 – L1 Repeater Kit, Power 110/5, Connector TNC-female
L1A-PM-TF: GPS Source GPS L1 Active Antenna 38dB gain, TCN-female
LMR240-50-TM: GPS Source LMR 240 – Coaxial Cable 50 ft
The GPS Repeater kit is comprised of a GPS Repeater Amplifier and a GPS Repeater Antenna mounted on a pedestal. You can use your existing Active GPS roof antenna and cable or purchase these as options. The GPS signal is received by the rooftop antenna and routed via a low loss cable to the GPS Repeater Amplifier Antenna assembly where it is repeated. GPS Source GPS Repeater kits have a range of approximately 100 feet and operate line of sight. In some instances you may need multiple GPS Repeaters due to obstacles and the desired coverage. With judicious placement the number of GPS repeater kits can and should be kept to a minimum.
GPS repeater comes in different flavors: L1, L1/L2, L1/L2 GLONASS, L1/L2 & L5 GLONASS. The latest GPS Source repeater is the GLI-METRO. The GLI-METRO is the only GPS controller on the market that allows you to easily manage the GPS Signal.
- With the push of a button, attenuate or amplify the signal to the power level needed
- Control and “lock in” the power level, regardless of cable network or temperature changes
- Bluetooth capability allows wireless configuration and monitoring
Continuously self-testing for any problems – the GLI-METRO detects open circuits, faulty antennas, inadequate satellite coverage, oscillation, or internal component issues. For more details and to request pricing go to http://www.transitiva.com/Products/GPS-Source-GLI-METRO-KIT-The-Smart-Amplifier-P448.html
All repeaters require the same simple installation:
1. Mount the pedestal GPS Amplifier Antenna assembly in a corner 8 to 30 ft. high.
2. Connect the GPS cable from the GPS roof antenna.
3. Plug in the Amplifier Antenna assembly and your repeating GPS.
4. Adjust and point the Repeater antenna across the room at the opposite wall or corner.
5. Adjust the pedestal angle for best reception in all areas of the room.
Note the GPS Repeater is intended for installation and use in areas where the GPS signal in not currently present. The position receivers generate will be the position of the receive or roof antenna and therefore is not used for location and/or navigation. The repeated GPS signal is used for system test, initialization, and product demonstration.
Source: 2010. GPS Source, Operation & Installation of the GPS Repeater Kit (GPSRK).
TransiTiva is an authorized rep for California, USA.